Did you know that, according to a recent study published in U.S. News and World Report, prescription drugs are the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States?
Many people rely on prescription medication to relieve symptoms of injuries, diseases, surgery, and other ailments. In fact, the two leading causes of death – heart disease and cancer – almost always necessitate the use of prescribed pharmaceuticals.
However, many of these drugs often cause negative side effects that can be worse than the original condition they were meant to treat. Others are highly addictive, posing a risk of pharmaceutical dependency.
For these reasons, many people and their doctors are questioning whether the disadvantages of prescription drugs outweigh their advantages. Take, for example, the proliferation of opioids, which were developed to provide relief from pain but have become a life-threatening addiction for millions of Americans, 130 of whom die each day. Other commonly misused prescriptions include stimulants (such as Adderall and Ritalin) and depressants (such as Valium, Xanax, Ambien, and Luminal).
As many as 2.7 million hospitalizations each year have been attributed to the non-fatal side effects attributed to prescription drugs, costing patients billions of dollars and burdening an already overwhelmed healthcare system. The most common of these drug side effects are:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Skin reactions, including dermatitis
- Heart arrhythmia
- Suicidal thoughts
Fortunately, there are natural alternatives that can provide relief from chronic pain, surgery pain, and medical conditions just as effectively as prescription drugs.
7 Holistic Alternatives to Prescription Drugs
Integrative medicine is an approach to medical care that combines conventional medicine with complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) practices that have been clinically shown to be a safe and effective substitute for prescription medication for pain management. Among the many non-drug treatment options available at Tremedy’s wellness clinic in Sandy Springs, Georgia, are:
- Acupuncture– The relief of stress or pain through the insertion of thin needles into points of your skin that connect with your body’s meridian channels, thus improving the flow of energy throughout your body and promoting healing.
- Hormone Therapy–A treatment for hormone-related conditions; helps treat a range of symptoms, including fatigue, weight gain, mood swings, and irritability.
- IV Therapy – This involves the administering of natural liquid medications – including vitamins and minerals – intravenously into your body, thereby delivering hydration and nutrition beneficial to your health.
- Meditation– This ancient and effective way to relieve stress and anxiety can also help provide relief from chronic pain.
- Nutritional Counseling–Monitoring your diet can have a significant impact on your health. For example, limiting your intake of saturated fat can reduce your risk of heart disease. Likewise, being vigilant of your sugar levels can help minimize the threat of diabetes and eating more foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation.
- Prolozone Therapy– The goal of prolozone therapy is to reduce inflammation and encourage healing in an affected area. It uses ozone, a highly reactive gas believed to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. The therapy also involves injecting nutrients into the joints, which helps encourage healing and repair damage.
- Weight Loss Management– More than one third of all American adults are obese, putting themselves at risk for serious health problems like heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Rather than taking diet pills or other habit-forming medication that often involve side effects, a personalized treatment plan can help patients safely achieve their weight loss goals.
Each of these protocols is designed to treat an illness by addressing its underlying cause, not just its symptoms, and help you heal in body, mind, and spirit with the risk and side effects of prescription medication. First, we take the time to understand your medical history, stress levels, lifestyle, social habits, spirituality, mental health, and dietary patterns. We then combine this information with state-of-the art diagnostic testing and treatment modalities in order to construct a personalized treatment plan that is unique to your specific needs.
Alternative Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia
If you are looking for a practice that takes the time to holistically review your health and offers safe and effective alternatives to prescription medication, look no further than Tremedy. To learn more about our approach to integrative medicine and how it can help you achieve optimal health, contact us today at (404) 990-4598 or schedule an appointment online to meet with a specialist today.